The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

International Investing / Australia (All-Ordinaries)

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/q-what-interest-does-a-dutch-company-have-in-14847459.aspx

Subject:  Re: Election Decisions Date:  4/26/2001  5:12 AM
Author:  wappinghigh Number:  2260 of 6186

Q/ What interest does a Dutch company have in improving the export earnings of Australia and maximizing shareholders returns in Woodside? Well you gotta look at it a tad dif they have a responsibilty to their shareholders I doubt if they intend to run down woodside they wouldn't buy it to do that. Look Aust will make money no matter who owns it everything that is exported is taxed by our Goverment.

Tax is one thing, holding the earnings in Australian hands is completely different. It feeds back into everyones pocket, via direct holdings superfunds etc. Buy the way the offer offered nothing for Woodside shareholders to buy into Shell (as apposed to Sing Tel CWO offer) Go read the offer document..it was absolute C..p)

Come on, there is no level playing field when it comes to "free trade" partic within the EEC.
What & us Aussie don't do the same thing to the countrys we can, Timor,
Papu New Guin, Phillipines etc? I can't see at all how you can rattle on about unfairness when we are the biggest exporter per capita in the FREE world. Bhp has raped many a poor country & currently has an extensive mix of foriegn mines, they are the number one income eaner& has a much better chance of maintaining that rating than WPL.

Thsis isn't an argument for selling off the most luctrative potential export in terms of profit margin/potential earnings

We haven't had free market access to Europe or the U.S for our products for years..despite them being heaps cheaper and of obvious higher quality
Huh, what are you talking about what products are much better & cheaper?

Primary produce eg beef,cheese,lamb,fresh produce, wheat(US), timber(not woodchips, rice to Japan)

The Woodside decision fights back
IMO it just shows an ignorant public & pathetic Goverment.

If you lived in Melbourne, you'd know what it is like to have major corporations who have recently/likely to move in future, or even close down..eg Telstra, BHP, Pasminco, Orica, Pac Dun, Qantas, even NAB..admittently some have been interstate, but the general move is towards loss of jobs, Intellect and support for all the other ancillary skills. Loss of Woodside from Perth would have been a severe blow for WA

We are NOT a walk over
Huh were talking about a take over nothing else.

I think you'd appreciate from above, that I feel it is more than this!

Regards AB
Copyright 1996-2022 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us