The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retired Fools


Subject:  Re: 401k rollovers of appreciated Stock Date:  4/30/2001  8:52 PM
Author:  SpyontheWise Number:  6605 of 22893

"in kind" distribution of the stock whereby you father would be taxed on the cost basis of the stock (as provided by the company plan administrator)in the year of distribution. If he needs to sell stock at a later time, he would be taxed at the capital gain rate

"in-kind" distribution is the way to go that way you dramtically reduce your tax bite. great advice gopete i second it

Tom Greeves, CFP
a.k.a SpyontheWise
Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us