The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Living Below Your Means

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/speedsurfer-i-have-been-in-private-practice-since-15094808.aspx

Subject:  Re: Moving Past LBYM Date:  6/2/2001  2:52 PM
Author:  GoDucks2001 Number:  150341 of 910561

Speedsurfer:

I have been in private practice since 1988 and I simply cannot imagine working for anyone else. I have no need of a retirement plan, because I am doing something (providing counseling and psychotherapy) that I never want to retire from. I am starting a second career as an Interior Designer/Cabinetmaker...because it is something else that I've always wanted to do.

Frankly, I cannot see spending extensive periods of time being a wage slave, so that I can "retire." Why not find something you love doing and make your money doing it?

This is not intended as a slam.

Most of us do not save "soap slivers," but we also don't waste our money. What is my definition of wasting money? Spending it on something you don't enjoy thoroughly. BTW, I thought "Rich Dad, Poor Dad" sucked. The books by Marsha Sinetar are much better, especially when coupled with common sense upbringing.

Don't lose heart...you WILL get out of debt...and you can have a happy, healthy lifestyle, however you choose to define that. :-)

Above all, enjoy yourself.
Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us