The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Living Below Your Means

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/at-the-risk-of-getting-flamed-a-bit-here-id-like-15161154.aspx

Subject:  Re: Not everyone gets a tax rebate Date:  6/13/2001  12:32 AM
Author:  Jon408 Number:  153359 of 910558

At the risk of getting flamed a bit here, I'd like to put in my 2ยข...

I would personally really like to see our government take a real stand for the future, rather that just doing the "politically correct" thing.

I would rather that money be used to pay down the national debt. and/or put into the Social Security system. By buying back US Govt. bonds, our nation would strengthen the dollar, provide for a better future, and re-secure our situation with the trade deficit. If our government were to reinvest the money in Social Security, I would sleep better at night knowing that my ward would have a brighter future.

Quite frankly, giving back $300 or $600 to those who put the money in is fine (and yes, that money will be spent, pumping up the economy a bit), but I'd rather the government was more fiscally sound, in the areas of Social Security, the national debt, and our trade imbalance.

Jon
Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us