The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retired Fools


Subject:  Re: Rollover 401K to what? Date:  7/4/2001  2:06 PM
Author:  islandee Number:  7032 of 20978

Clarification please. After converting from a 401(k) to a traditional IRA, you write:

The next step involves taxes. If you then want to convert the
new traditional IRA to a Roth, and your trustee accepts the Roth,
you can direct the trustee to make that conversion. Tax will be
due on the non-taxed amount of the conversion....

Do I interpret this correctly: In this process, you're saying that I was able to roll over both taxed and non-taxed funds from the 401(k) to a traditional IRA? I thought that I had to exclude the already taxed funds from the rollover.
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us