The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Stocks T / TyCom, Ltd.

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/tcm-business-model-can-only-fail-if-a-technology-15309408.aspx

Subject:  Re: $7 per share!? I don't think so. Date:  7/5/2001  12:08 PM
Author:  Amtek110 Number:  101 of 136

TCM business model can only fail if a technology emerges that differs in a way that makes undersea fiber obsolete (possibly data lasers - bench testing only).

Not trying to offend you adder4411 but laser isn't as reliable as cable. Just like you can call anyone from your home phone which i hope has a solid copper line and you will have a lot less interference then if you call same person via cell phone. That is exact reason why so many WAN (wireless area network) companies can't really compete very well with solid fiber networks. Especially when you are in the cities such as New York City or Dallas. Also no matter how strong laser is, it has a great lengt to travel but then light travels 300k/s so it shouldn't be a problem but if there is an obsticle you know how much data will be lost? Lasers aren't as reliable and they will need converters and repeaters. Either way, the point that I'm making is that cable better the wireless. Maybe not as fast but certainly more reliable.

DoW-AMT
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us