The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Education, Jobs & Professions / Engineers

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/have-you-competed-in-any-cycling-races-not-the-15321359.aspx

Subject:  Re: Bicycles - Shimano 3 Speed , HELP Date:  7/7/2001  9:44 AM
Author:  fietser Number:  38 of 1664

Have you competed in any cycling races?
Not the traditional ones no.. I am a couch potato by nature who accidentally stumbled on cycling as more than just a tool for getting me from A to B.
Thanks to a friend I took up long-distance cycling.
My feats are:
1996 : 2 24hr TT : best result was 480 K (300 mi) in 24 hrs on an ordinary hybrid touring bike.
All other rides were done on a custom fit touring bike with MTB wheels (first 32mm later 25mm).
1997: London Edinburgh London: 1400 K nonstop in 116 hrs (20 min less than maximally required)
1998: Paris Amsterdam Nonstop: 550 K in 40 hrs.
1999: Paris Brest Paris : 1200 K nonstop, but DNFed at 700K and 45 hrs.
2000-2001: one year of cycle-touring
So, no races but a bit more fanatical than average.

I do a great deal of biking myself and would like to start competing on an amature basis. However, I've been training on a full-suspension mountain bike. Hopefully, this will prove to be to my advantage as I believe that a street bicycle will be more efficient on distance rides ;)

Any experience with GT street cycles? Definately my brand of choice for mountain bikes, how do their street bikes fare?

Sorry, I don't have a clue. For those really fanatical about doing long rides and shorter/longer than average, a custom fit bike pays.
For road bikes, I hear good things about Bianchi, Colnago (but very dear).. I am currently in the process of buying or at least testing a few Bike Friday bikes as I combine cycle-touring with hitch-hiking and taking buses/trains... am a little bit fed up with paying for taking a bike. The BF fits in a suitcase.. or a largish travel bag no questions asked!
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us