The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Education, Jobs & Professions / Engineers

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/thats-right-im-10-weeks-quotfreshquot-out-15402642.aspx

Subject:  Re: Student loans vs Roth? Date:  7/19/2001  11:15 AM
Author:  justmoi Number:  49 of 1670

That's right, I'm 10 weeks "fresh" out of college. (But I'm not past my expiration date, yet. Just noone's bought me from the grocer's shelf.)

Obviously, I've got to get rid of my CC debt first. But then what? I'll probably have a 401k started w/ my employer. (Seems most employers have that option for Engrs.) Should I get my Roth started before I work on majorly killing off my student loans? Or is there something else that I'm missing?

Thoughts? Experiences? I'm not too fond of this student loan that's been with me since the beginning of my "4-year" education. How much should I let it bug me?

(4 years? HA!!!)

4 years? Moi, I took the 10 year plan while changing my major numerous times before settling on EE.

My advice:
* debt payoff first, whatever you pay on debt effectively earns you a better return than any funds you put into savings.
* after debt payoff, take the money you were paying on debt payoff & dump it into whatever savings plan you decide on.

BTW, most employers seem to have a one year employment period before you can participate in 401K programs.
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us