The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Paying For College


Subject:  Re: Fin Aid for Grad School abroad Date:  7/25/2001  12:18 PM
Author:  jt4730a Number:  4086 of 8571

I realize this is a rather old posting, but maybe you will go back to check it.

I am an American who went to grad school in London (LSE). Since my university was considered an "eligible institution," I was able to take out $18,500 (ouch!) in Stafford Loans to cover most of the cost of my education. There is some U.S.-U.K. reciprocal agreement which helps students be eligible for student aid from their own country while studying in the host country.

First, and most importantly, find out if your university is considered an eligible institution (it probably is).

Second, fill out the FAFSA. Don't freak out when your FAFSA is returned without your university being listed (eligible overseas institutions don't have codes or the number given you by the university may not work). It's OK.

Third, get Stafford Loan application forms from the following organization, fill them out, have your university sign it, then mail them in:

Fourth, either pick up the check from your university, or have it mailed to you (I think you specify on the Stafford Loan forms).

Fifth, get your degree, get a great job, but hate your student loan debt!

p.s. Have you checked out the British Council websites?
Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us