The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Paying For College

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/however-i-do-think-there-is-a-distinction-15528885.aspx

Subject:  Re: Parent vs Child Assets Date:  8/8/2001  4:55 PM
Author:  Gary11112 Number:  4163 of 8558

...However, I do think there is a distinction bewteen gaming the system in a legal way -- which I don't have a problem with; it only makes sense to have the application paint the most favorable picture possible -- and outright lying about what the money is for and how it will be used.

Maybe the original poster and his/her family really did do all those things. However, it is also a classic troll technique to tweak all the right issues (Porsche, food stamps, etc.) then step back and let others argue. I think the extra post to throw in the bit about the food stamps gives it away that that series of posts was just to push peoples' buttons.

One minor correction. I was the original poster and the question dealt with totally legal strategies to maximize financial aid for our son going to college in 2002. I was only "totally unethical". I guess I should be grateful. The "common criminal", "lying scum", Porche and food stamps posts came later. Given that each of us were given the same set of rules regardless of whether we concur with the logic or not, I agree that the only sensible thing is to have the application truthfully paint the most favorable picture possible.

Gary
Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us