The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Real estate in an IRA Date:  8/14/2001  12:05 AM
Author:  jailleres Number:  53314 of 129307

Don't forget the tax rate differences - IRA (traditional, not Roth) distributions are taxed as income. That means that on top of paying your marginal tax rate (28%?) they increase your exposure to Social Security income taxation when you retire.
OTOH, capital gains tax rates are 20% if you're in the 28% bracket and drop to 8% if you get joint income below $43850 (2002). Of course, we don't know what they'll be in 30 years either, but you have to make some projections.

I agree with the other posters - get a mortgage to buy the property. Invest the IRA in a GNMA fund.
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us