The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Married Couple to use Single Status Date:  8/14/2001  1:07 PM
Author:  irasmilo Number:  53333 of 130717

Find another tax preparer. There is no way to file single if you are married. You can file "Married filing separate", but this is not the same as filing "Single" and there is no precondition for choosing this filing status.

Note, however, that choosing to file as "Married filing separate" does affect many of the other choices available to you as you prepare your return(s). There are times (and states) where there can be large differences in tax liability based on the choice of "Married filing ..." status. You should calculate your return both ways to decide what is best for you.

Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us