The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retired Fools

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/majory-writes-actually-i-just-retired-and-i-15576973.aspx

Subject:  Re: Roth withdrawl Date:  8/16/2001  1:42 PM
Author:  TMFPixy Number:  7281 of 20861

Majory writes:

..actually, I just retired and I thought I would take those dispersements first (as needed) since they would have no tax implications..

Ah, so. That makes more sense. In fact (and as Phil pointed out), you could end up with an itemized deduction under the miscellaneous category to the extent it exceeds 2% of your AGI. Still, I would think hard before I closed that IRA. Why restart a five tax-year rule when it isn't necessary? That assumes, of course, that you want to use a Roth IRA in retirement for part-time work income.

..as far as my other investments go... which I manage myself... I still am a dyed in the wool MI'er...so I certainly can not be accused of cutting and running..

That also makes me feel better. I'm sure you're aware some folks tend to give up when an investment heads South. I apologize for thinking you fell in that category, and I'm sincerely glad you don't.

Regards..Pixy

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us