The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Fools and Their Money


Subject:  Re: moving to France Date:  8/19/2001  5:48 PM
Author:  TMFKaren Number:  8505 of 15497

My girlfriend and I are planning on moving to France next year. My question for all of you is: Will I still be able to make contributions towards my Roth IRA? If not, what are some other long-term investment vehicles that I should consider? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.


Welcome to the Motley Fool!

I beleive you have to have 'earned income.' That means you have to have a w-2 or some kind of proof of income in order to contribute to a Roth. If you are still working for a US company, and assigned to work overseas, you can probably still qualify.

Because I'm not very well educated in this department, I'd suggest you post a follow up question in the Tax Strategies board. You can get there by typing the board name in center space of the navigational bar below and hitting 'enter.'

We also have a 'Fools Living Outside the USA' board where you can ask follow up questions, although it doesn't appear to active.

Good luck! Fool on!

Karen Kosoy
TMF Karen

Special of the Day:
The Motley Fool Money Guide:

Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us