The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/i-am-so-excited-that-i-just-paid-off-my-nextcard-15610807.aspx

Subject:  Re: Finance Charges after Pay Off Date:  8/22/2001  8:45 AM
Author:  tanaquil Number:  87670 of 312938

I am so excited that I just paid off my NextCard balance (the worst credit card I have ever had!). The problem is I just got a bill for an additional $45 in finance charges. I looked on my statement and it clearly states that to avoid additional finance charges to pay the balance off by the due date. I did this so how can they still charge me? Also I appologize if this has been answered before. I am new and when I looked I didn't find anything.

It sounds like you've been carrying a balance on NextCard. If that's the case, the "grace period" (no finance charges as long as balance is paid by due date) doesn't apply -- the grace period, for old & new charges, disappears as soon as you carry any portion of a balance from one month to the next. So they can still charge you interest up to the day when you paid the balance off.

Congrats on dumping NextCard!

Tanaquil
Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us