The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Social Clubs / Martini Club

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/something-else-has-occurred-to-me-dude-me-you-15776647.aspx

Subject:  Re: "Buy American"? or "True Patr Date:  9/20/2001  12:05 AM
Author:  warisproduct Number:  14596 of 27875

Something else has occurred to me, dude.

Me: You profit from terrorism. Is that such a difficult concept? That maybe there are better ways to make money?

RJ: By Monday everybody had ample opportunity to learn about the attack and consider the ramifications. Any short sale (or other sale) that took place then had an informed seller that thought the stock was too expensive and an informed buyer that thought the stock was cheap. Who was right? Who knows. In the short term, maybe the buyer. Eyeballing the chart, it looks like if you shorted AMR at the open on Monday, as of now you've lost maybe 25% of your money.

This objection is irrelevant. My original point should have been that anyone who SEEKS to profit off the events of 9/11 is a schmuck. Whether or not you actually made money is another story. If you woke up on Monday thinking "I'm gonna short the airlines, or the insurance agencies!" then you are a schmuck.

Of that, I'm certain.

Copyright 1996-2022 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us