The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Politics & Current Events / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/should-companies-really-focus-exclusively-on-the-15937103.aspx

Subject:  Re: I Know You Told Me So! Date:  10/16/2001  5:46 PM
Author:  arrete Number:  53409 of 883688

Should companies really focus exclusively on the bottom line and let the older, and usually more highly paid, workers go without a second thought? I have been struggling with this question. If companies are forced to consider seniority it will reduce their ability to compete in the world. OTOH, if they let these older employees go in the first layoff, can it be justified from a social perspective?

I've always thought for most people, cutting back slowly on work is useful so that retirement isn't such a shock [obviously not talking about most of the folks here <g>]. So that would be one way to go - offer 32 or 24 hour weeks to the "older" folks. Benefits could be cut in proportion, though something would have to be worked out for health benefits. DH did this, and I think it worked out fine. As he slowly cut back hours, he developed other interests, so he didn't mind cutting back more hours.

Just a thought.

arrete
Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us