The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Politics & Current Events / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/i-know-its-not-easy-for-teachers-to-deal-with-15947592.aspx

Subject:  Re: OT: Achieving 103% Date:  10/18/2001  9:46 AM
Author:  LudditeAndroid Number:  53511 of 882942

I know it's not easy for teachers to deal with the variety of students they find in their classes, and it must be difficult to deal with a student who could pass the final exam on the first day of class, but these kids need special treatment. Challenge them or leave them alone. Please don't confuse frustration and boredom with an attitude problem. And don't ask them to help do your job. It's insulting.

Amen.

I was in the same boat as you, but I took a different journey, the "let's make some money off of this bad situation" journey.

The public school I was attended spent all the gifted program money on the special ed students (who already had funding ten times over what the gifted students had), so there was literally nothing I could do in school, besides cause trouble and tutor my friends sans paycheck. I waited from 5th grade to sophmore year for the funding to be appropriately allocated, still nothing. So I left.

I found a relatively cheap parochial school that would let me take my last two years of school concurrently. I graduated when I was 16, with good grades and high test scores. I ended up winning a $60,000 scholarship to college (which I never would have gotten entered for if I'd stayed at that public school).

I probably would be disturbingly far from early retirement now if it hadn't been for that scholarship. It's a damn good thing I left.
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us