The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Stocks U / UAL Corporation

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/1-word-unrealistic-unless-you-think-that-15994060.aspx

Subject:  Re: How I'd Save United Date:  10/26/2001  12:35 AM
Author:  Foolsrule Number:  183 of 610

1 word: unrealistic...

...unless you think that UAL should become a regional carrier. The range on the B737 is rather limited. Some of UAL's most profitable segments are international routes which require ETOPS aircraft in the 767, 777, 747 (Boeing) classes.

That said, the concept of "standardization" on limited fleet type is an intriguing one which could in fact result in more efficient manpower and inventory management.

I don't know that I'd characterize today's skies as "not so full". IMHO, the ATC system is still woefully inadequate, and the number of runways barely sufficient.

Simplifying is often the best approach to problem solving, and there are ways that UAL could and should simplify. However, the hub and spoke system of airline travel is inherently complex, but is an efficient way for a carrier to retain the customer from start to finish of their journey.
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us