The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Form 8332, Noncustodial parent Date:  11/2/2001  9:09 PM
Author:  pmarti Number:  54975 of 132875

I was wondering if you can file an amended 1040 to attach for 8332. We took the exemption for the child on the return, but did not attach the form. The custodial parent has verbally agreed to split the exemptions. They have 2 children. She takes one exemption on her return and we take one.

I'd suggest you go ahead and get the signed from from the mother, but don't bother with an amended return. If IRS inquires you'll have the documentation you need to support the exemption. It's doubtful that they will inquire if she didn't claim the exemption.

Phil Marti
VITA Volunteer
Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us