The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Books & Writing / Book Club (Fiction Poetry Drama)

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/1-the-complete-hitchhikers-guide-series-by-16110249.aspx

Subject:  Re: What 10 books.... Date:  11/14/2001  3:39 PM
Author:  Kazim Number:  506 of 3323

1. The complete Hitchhiker's Guide series, by Douglas Adams -- to cheer myself up and reflect that some people are worse off than me.
2. Unweaving the Rainbow by Richard Dawkins -- to remind myself of the fundamental beauty of the universe, and that there's no need to fall into superstition to appreciate it.
3. Godel Escher Bach, by Douglas Hofstadter -- because it contains great reading on every subject that's important, and you can never read it enough times.
4. Lightning, by Dean Koontz -- because I've read it a bunch of times and it's still good.
5. Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett -- because I have to have something by Ken Follett, and that's the longest one I can think of.
6. David and Tom Gardner's "You Have More Than You Think" -- because it'll keep me upbeat, and I can think about my plans for what to do after I get off the island.
7. "The Lady or the Tiger? And Other Logic Puzzles", by Raymond Smullyan -- because I've never been able to solve all those puzzles near the end of the book, and I would have a lot of time to work them out.
8. History of Western Philosophy by Bertrand Russell -- because I've been meaning to read it someday, and it would probably keep me occupied for a long time.
9. The Tinkertoy Computer and Other MacHinations -- haven't read it, but maybe it would give me an idea how to build a computer out of sticks or something, and then I'd have a project to pass the time.
10. An issue of Playboy, because my wife wouldn't be around and... well, I'd get bored.
Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us