The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Drip Investing - The Basics

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/bigtymer2-i-think-this-slowness-problem-could-be-16166130.aspx

Subject:  Re: question for dfish Date:  11/26/2001  12:44 AM
Author:  dfish Number:  21661 of 27990

BigTymer2,

I think this slowness problem could be solved if these companies would all offer direct stock purchase programs. It is kind of ridiculous that they make us go so far out of the way just to "GIVE" them our hard earned money. I can't see how a company can justify requiring a person to own one share of the company stock to enroll in their drip program. The only thing I can think of as to why these companies do not offer direct stock programs is due to laziness.

DRIPs were born a few decades ago as a way for companies to help their shareholders increase their stake in the company. If you aren't a shareholder, then you don't fall in this group...so it's not that they are requiring anything; they simply created these programs for shareholders.

Direct-enrollment plans weren't created until about a decade ago, and the transfer agents have promoted them (with lots of fees) as a money-making vehicle. Someone has to pay...you or the company, if not both. So, far from "giving" your money to the company, they are (in the case of a no-fee plan) paying your way.

Also, early on, shares purchased were from treasury stock, so the investment funds did, indeed, go into the company coffers. Nowadays, most plans purchase shares on the open market for your benefit, so the company itself receives nothing.

You're also not "giving" anyone money since you are receiving stock in exchange for cash...and if you are fortunate enough to do so at little or no cost, then, count your blessings...:)

dave fish/moneypaper

Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us