The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/planning-a-strategy-401k-and-roth-16269786.aspx

Subject:  Planning a strategy, 401(k) and Roth Date:  12/12/2001  2:07 PM
Author:  ethan2828 Number:  32816 of 94554

Hello, and good day to you all :)

I have been trying to educate myself on the magic of retirement investing, and I would like your critique of my plan. I am married and my spouse doesn't work. My employer offers a 401(k) that I am allowed to put 15% of my pre-tax income into. I am 27, and I am going to retire early (and the earlier the better ;). Here is my plan: To enroll in the 401(k) and put in the max 15%. They don't offer any matching, nor do they have an index fund to invest in. I plan to split 50/50 the money between balanced shares and growth/income funds. I figure the pre-tax dollars, even though unmatched, are worth putting toward anything at this point. In addition, I think I understand that I can contribute $2k to two Roth IRAs, one in my name and one in my spouse's name, even though my spouse has no income. Is this legal? Now, when I quit the company I work for I plan to transfer the 401(k) monies into one of the Roth accounts. It is my understanding that this transfer does *not* sount toward the $2k yearly I am allowed to contribute. Will I have to pay takes on that 401(k) money when the transfer (rollover?) takes place?

Your suggestions, comments, bonks on the head are all welcome :)

Thank you!

Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us