The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Foolish 401(k)s


Subject:  Re: If I leave the country for good? Date:  12/18/2001  2:05 PM
Author:  ritchieca Number:  13949 of 26295

Even for foreign nationals, the 401k is a sweet deal.

Yes, you can take your money with you, less 20% withholding which will be credited toward your tax return. You would also have to pay a 10% penalty with your tax filing. However, you could roll to an IRA and possibly have access in your home country. I would check with a firm in your home country first.

All of your vested money is yours. 100% of your deferral, as well as any amount vested of your match or profit sharing contribution. Check your last statement to see your vested amount.
Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us