The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Education, Jobs & Professions / Self-Employed Fools

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/family-friends-motivation-16658436.aspx

Subject:  Family & friends' motivation Date:  2/7/2002  9:31 AM
Author:  ShelbyBoy Number:  5414 of 15018

I talked with an old friend recently. He has a full-time job and has started a business on the side. His goal is for the business to become his full-time pursuit.

He told me he was having a hard time getting support from family and friends who all basically have 8-5 jobs and have no desire to become self-employed.

I think they must think he should be making $X for every hour he works - even though he is doing things to build a business - things that might not earn any income right now.

He said it has reached the point that if he is preparing a postcard mailing, for example, and a friend calls, he doesn't tell the friend what he is doing. He'll just say something like "I'm reading."

He does this because two weeks later he'll be asked how much money he made from "all that work" and if he reports a 2% return on the mailing, his friends become very discouraging - telling him he is wasting his time - or worse yet, suggesting a place where he might get a part-time job if he "needs the money so badly."

I have experienced a bit of this myself in the past, but not nearly as much as he seems to be experiencing.

Anyone else have these experiences? How did you overcome?

ShelbyBoy
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us