The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Education, Jobs & Professions / Military Fools

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/i-knew-my-two-years-working-personnel-issues-would-16823877.aspx

Subject:  Re: Question for USAF Date:  3/1/2002  12:20 PM
Author:  Jacketfan Number:  12944 of 38578

I KNEW my two years working personnel issues would pay off eventually...

STARNOM refers to certain positions in which the commander gets to pick the person for the job, such as 4-star aides (which are usually O-3's). I know there are a few more categories but I can't think of them now.

Anyway, the way that process works is the commander in question will go to the Air Force Personnel Center and say "give me a list". AFPC then sends the request out to the Major Commands (where I worked) and says "give me two candidates from your Command." The consolidated list is then passed to the commander, who picks someone.

So STARNOM doesn't really refer to people, but positions. However, those who are nominated for the STARNOM jobs tend to be the cream of the crop and will no doubt continue to rise even if they don't get that job.

Also note that commanders constantly pick people they want to work for them. But in the new assignment system (now three years old), those are really in the form of By Name Requests to AFPC. The STARNOM's are actually built into the system.

Hope that helps,
- Tom
Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us