The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Automotive / Cars and Drivers

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/wot-street-racing-in-vancouver-has-taken-about-16947416.aspx

Subject:  Re: tornado Date:  3/24/2002  5:44 PM
Author:  MichaelRead Number:  3642 of 11896

Wot:

Street racing in Vancouver has taken about seven lives in the past month or so and now the police will, if it's obvious you're racing, take your license and give you a two year suspension on the spot. Almost all have been teens driving on their provisional license.

I think kids should do as you had to and that's learn exactly what happens when you don't know what you're in for. The objection is that some kids will drive faster because they think they know how to avoid an accident but I dispute that since the training for any driving improvement – especially from the advanced schools – teaches maneuverability at specific speeds: that at some speeds you can't do what you would like to.

What I would like teens to learn is how different cars and vans handle. My wife has a 2001 Passat and I have a GMC Yukon Denali and that's chalk and cheese in the same garage. Previously, for 13 years, I had a GMC 2500 Van with all mod con. I had to learn to drive the Denali because its characteristics are different than any car (and I've rented a lot) than before. It's more a truck than the Passat and the Passat is, with the six, a peppy car that comes out of the hole Real Zippy.

I'd like teens to know what it's like in a Corvette and and Crown Vic and understand the differences.

Whatever, the police are cracking down real hard on racing.

MichaelR – Jester

Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us