The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Automotive / Cars and Drivers

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/i-fully-agree-that-drivers-training-here-is-16947558.aspx

Subject:  Re: tornado Date:  3/24/2002  6:34 PM
Author:  WotPeed Number:  3643 of 11896

I fully agree that driver's training here is pretty much a joke. I think that getting a driver's license is too easy in general. The driving test only superficially tests the most basic understanding of traffic laws and automobile operating proficiancy.

One of the most memorable demonstrations I took away from my Fresh Start experience was the concept of human reaction time. Referring back to the test where you had a split second to decide whether to swerve into the left or right lane, we were all shown where the sensor was that caused one of the lights to turn green. I don't recall exactly, but I think the sensor was about 100 yards before the location of the lights. When you're standing still looking at the situation, it looks like there's more than enough distance to make your decision. The instructors assured us that even though the light changes instantly when the car reaches the sensor, we'll swear after the fact that the light doesn't change until we're almost directly under it. This was, of course, true. The car was going about 60mph when crossing the sensor. It takes a person a few milliseconds to prcoess the image of the light changing and make a decision. It definitely felt like a noticeable amount of time elapsed between reaching the sensor and seeing the green light, but when watching from the sideline it was obvious that the change was instantaneous.

These are all things that most people will agree are obvious but until actually going through a controlled experiment, I had no idea how much of a difference reaction time can make.

Wot

Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us