The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Automotive / Cars and Drivers

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/point-do-aftermarket-add-ons-work-in-the-early-16955240.aspx

Subject:  Re: tornado Date:  3/26/2002  9:25 AM
Author:  TMFTwitty Number:  3663 of 11896

Point: do aftermarket add-ons work? In the early 80s I had a computer added to my GMC Van that measured the density of the charge at TDC and varied the spark accordingly. Mileage went up to 19 mpg, up from 16, and the engine ran that much smoother. Also, I found that at oil change the oil was cleaner.

Some do. Since in design and manufacturing, hundreds of variables are cooked down to arrive at a homogenous, bland, average capability over a broad range of conditions and demands, you can manipulate systems according to an end result you want to achieve.

I bought programmable computer chip because I wanted better performance. It adjusts the transmission fluid pressure for crisper shifting, and manipulates ignition timing during heavier power demand. It's a mild program currently, but I'm going to get it reprogrammed more agressively.

Twit
Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us