The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  Re: Need claification Date:  3/29/2002  12:37 PM
Author:  CABob Number:  34061 of 100863

Oops...I'm off on one point. As of 2002, you can also roll over the after-tax money. In 2001 and before, this was not allowed, and therefore a check for that amount was sent to the owner. The new law is better, in that it allows us to roll over the after-tax money, if any, thus giving us more to tax-defer.


Just thinking about this.... Does that mean the funds would be taxed twice, once when it goes into the 401k and then again when it comes out of the IRA? Or when it comes out is it separately identified so that taxes are not due. If the latter (which I hope is the case) can one choose which money is comming out or does it come out in the appropriate ratio or by some set formula?
Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us