The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  401k rollover Date:  4/13/2002  9:03 PM
Author:  CABob Number:  34203 of 98862

I was reading information in the TMF Retirement section and in an area discussing lump sum withdrawals from a defined contribution plan it states:

-- You may transfer the money directly to an Individual Retirement Account (IRA) to continue the tax deferral until you begin withdrawals. (Warning! The note that follows may confuse you if you don't read it twice: Any after-tax employee contributions you made to a 401(k) or other defined contribution plan are not taxable and may not be transferred to an IRA. Such monies will normally be provided to you in a separate check, which you may cash and use as desired.)

Isn't that last part no longer true? Can't after tax money go into a rollover IRA and then withdrawals are considered partly taxable and partly non taxable?

Bob (Who is confused and approaching retirement)
Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us