The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/gtgtgtgtthe-bottom-line-seems-to-be-that-17084508.aspx

Subject:  Re: 401(k) are a Fiasco? Rich and poor part ways Date:  4/18/2002  2:52 PM
Author:  ddeitch Number:  34254 of 101012

>>>>The bottom line seems to be that unless you're very rich now, you're more poor today than you were 15 years ago<<

That is not what I take away from it. My bottom line reads more like, "If you don't know enough about finances to manage your 401(k) properly, and don't have enough sense to get help, you may be in trouble." But if you are in that position, then you are probably going to have financial difficulties no matter what options are available to you.<<

And yet they want to let America manage their own social security funds in the market. Oy Vey.

Seriously, 15 years ago I was a junior in college. I am definately not as poor now as I was then. If you are planning to retire this year, then for sure the recent downturn (not to mention world events) has probably sobered your globe trotting plans. But if, like me, you still have 15-30 years more before putting in for a gold watch, chances are you won't even remember the distress.

If those nearing retirement have not altered their allocations to something more conservative, then you are right, they have not managed their accounts Foolishly. At the same time, if I became scared of the risk and moved my money into something safer, I would not likely have enough to see the world when I do finally retire.

David
Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us