The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/her-mutual-funds-are-nuts-and-im-having-problems-17129036.aspx

Subject:  Re: The slow death of a traditional IRA...Help!! Date:  4/26/2002  2:38 PM
Author:  bigcaat Number:  34368 of 99405

Her mutual funds are nuts and I'm having problems decided whether to wait until its transfered to sell and then buy, to save on commission or just order her broker to do it now.

Scottrade -- good choice. Have you checked with them to see if those funds are sold in Scottrade's Supermarket of funds? If they are, then I would transfer straight across, then sell and buy into whatever else you want. I just did this with a Janus fund.

I believe that Scottrade has no fees for Mutual Funds transactions, no matter what the fund, but check to make sure. If they don't have them offered, you may not be able to do it any other way than to sell first then transfer. Technically, mutual fund transactions shouldn't cost anything through your broker either, but I seem to remember that Merrill Lynch said that, but there was always this piddly little service charge, or something like that attatched. (They're such slimes.)

What may happen, however, is you may be charged a fee to transfer the fund out of the company. You'll have to check with them. It's worth it though, to be out of their clutches. Who are you with?

Sounds like you're doing a great job.
Good luck with it all.

Hope this helps.
Caat
Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us