The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Products & Services / Online Banking

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/also-just-because-there-is-quotno-riskquot-17356884.aspx

Subject:  Re: VISA/Mastercard Suit Date:  6/13/2002  9:43 AM
Author:  TheDreamer Number:  17134 of 24357

Also, just because there is "no risk" associated with a Check Card transaction, that doesn't mean that it costs any less to process the transaction.

If there is no risk in issuing Check Cards...then why did I have go through a credit check inorder to get one. When I first moved to the United States...I was declined a Check Card, because I had no credit history (though I got one about 3 months later).

And, I was thinking that after I pay off all my credit cards..that I might opt for using my check card for everything (except for online transactions, since I've already had the false online charges on a previous check card).

Actually, there is also risk to Visa....VISA offers the same level of protection against fraud on check cards as regular cards....except that until you call Visa the money is already missing from your account, and they can't seem to block false recurring charges (other than cancelling and reissuing). Don't know about Mastercard, have never had one of their check cards.

The Dreamer.
Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us