The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Products & Services / Online Banking

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/another-distintion-not-to-be-overlooked-is-that-17361187.aspx

Subject:  Re: PIN-based POS v. Check Cards Date:  6/13/2002  10:13 PM
Author:  kimflatpicks Number:  17143 of 24357

Another distintion not to be overlooked is that you have somewhat less legal rights (e.g. for defective goods, etc.) when you purchase with a debit vs. a credit card.

This is very true. I learned the hard way when DH and I rented a hotel room for one night, payed with the debit card and found out we were charged three nights' stay when the statement arrived. Another couple that stayed at the same hotel on the same night had the same thing happen to them, but they wisely used a CC to pay for the room. They just called the CC company and told them to remove the extra charges.

It was like going straight to hell getting the debit reversed. Of course we were essentially without the funds in our checking account until the matter was resolved. The bank was not very helpful (what do they care?) and I had to threaten to hotel (part of a large chain by the way) legal action before I got my $$ refunded. I'm sure it was a scam.

I will never use a debit card unless it's a local merchant I have dealt with before and never for a large amount of $$.

Kim
Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us