The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Products & Services / Discount Brokers

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/quotthen-i-would-think-the-stop-was-at-the-wrong-17376749.aspx

Subject:  Re: Slightly OT: Date:  6/18/2002  1:50 AM
Author:  aktravler85 Number:  41865 of 50600

"Then I would think the stop was at the wrong place. If you're long a stock in "a market like this" I would think the stops are especially important. I would sure be interested in hearing what stocks you think are so great you know they will go back up?"

In my book if your "long" a stock, you do not blindly put a stop order on it, you follow it carefully, for just "a market like this. Being long means you believe in the long term growth of a company, understanding that their will be ups and downs, you just have to find out if their is a reason for the down or just an anomally (sp?) like the last few days - weeks.

"I would think the stops are especially important. I would sure be interested in hearing what stocks you think are so great you know they will go back up?"

Disclaimer, I do not represent the companys and I DO have a financial interest.

At Todays closing prices: COF, and it is back higher than what I bought up $43, WGO, doing very well- through all this mess up $266, MNC, not screaming, but it will make me some money , RMCF up $37, (yum!, I buy what I like, after looking over the stats, of course.) ALLY, excellent gains up $125.10, RINO, up$57.10...several more. All but 2 of my stocks took serious dips over the last 3 days, but have come back higher than what my buy prices , including transaction fees, these are the total increase in $ value at the end of the trading day. Several of them were much higher during trading, but I am sticking for the same reasons I bought them to begin with, they will make me money, which is what it's all about.
I have a few core stocks that I am long on, and I mean years, and of course, everyone's mutual fund, and an international fund, a floundering growth fund, (hubby believes in it, sigh..) and the fund I just got out of and am investing the $ the way I want to.

If I had a stop loss order on COF, say down $5 from my purchase, It would have sold at the loss and I would have missed the now $43.00 gain. And lost over $500, doesn't work for me. But:

"Different strokes for different folks. In my case, I have no doubt that if I placed a stop-loss in a market like this, the stock would take a one day price dip which triggered the stop-loss. And then it would immediately jump back up. So I'd be sold out at a loss, but the stock would not have crashed. Yuck!"

Exactly.

Interesting thought: How 'bout those fund managers touting "buy and hold" when their funds turnover goes to 206%, and cash to over 7%. Humm,My new mantra: "Nobody cares more about my money than me", this is the most important thing I have learned on the Fool, along with some excellent conversation.

Ak, finally, really in control, in the hills north of Fairbanks.

Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us