The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Products & Services / Discount Brokers

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/i-must-respectfully-disagree-i-have-never-17387487.aspx

Subject:  Re: Slightly OT: Date:  6/19/2002  8:26 PM
Author:  aktravler85 Number:  41874 of 50600

I must respectfully disagree. I have never believed in mechanical investing, every situation is different, I will always annalize every change in the market and my personal investments, I am lucky to have the time for this, and the companys I invest in are selected with an eye to future growth, unlike you (as you stated in your interview) I do not gamble any more than is inherrant (sp?) in the market.

I do not go into the stock with the thought of "I can afford to loose this much" which is what an automatic stop loss is. That is the same type of attitude that gets folks in Vegas in trouble.

I am not saying that there is not a time to bail, just that every situation must be fully analized.

My intent is to make money, I have no problem riding out swings, as a matter of fact, I look on them as serious buying opportunities (after investigation, of course). The rule I prefer to follow is buy good companys and watch them carefully.

I am curious to know how many of your stops triggered Friday.
Also, how do you determine you stop loss amount?

Ak, enjoying the differences of opinion, in the hills north of Fairbanks.
Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us