The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Products & Services / Online Banking

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/jrr7-thanks-for-the-info-of-course-im-not-17565634.aspx

Subject:  Re: Interest Rates, Teasers and Large Corporatio Date:  7/24/2002  3:49 AM
Author:  joelcorley Number:  17301 of 24357

jrr7,

Thanks for the info. Of course, I'm not really interested in junk bonds for this particular investment/savings account. And investing the money through a broker doesn't seem very practical, given the short term. I have $23,500 I need to invest right now and I need to be able to withdraw it in less than 4 months. It would seem that buying an actual bond would incur way too much risk for this type of investment; but putting my money in a money market type account with a solid company like GE Financial wouldn't bother one bit. On the other hand, I think GMAC may actually be a bit "dodgy". ;-)

I would like to maximize my return over these next four months; but I can't really accept risking the principal. The liquidity of the funds is also important, as I must be able to repay this "loan" from MBNA before the interest rate reverts. I run the risk of loosing all my potential gains if MBNA is given the opportunity to charge me at the regular interest rate for less than a week. If there's any real risk of loosing the capital in an investment in the coming 4 months, I'll ultimately have to drop it from consideration -- at least for these funds.

One more note. The funds cleared my checking account tonight. I need to make a decision quickly. I've shifted these funds into my credit union's shares account for the time being; but that's only earning 1.5%. I could initiate a transfer to my ING account now; but I don't know how to transfer those funds into another investment without transferring them first back into my checking account. And a round trip through my ING account takes nearly a week.

Any additional suggestions or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

- Joel
Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us