The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Politics & Current Events / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/non-mastermind-will-re-17666762.aspx

Subject:  non-MasterMind will RE Date:  8/10/2002  12:57 AM
Author:  Patnbj Number:  73365 of 881728

As I have pointed out in previous posts—I am not a MasterMind.
I think that any personality type can achieve ER. While a MasterMind might be initially drawn to SWR cuz they just love mulling over the cute graphs and reports, a non-MasterMind with a strong desire to ER will quickly get motivated to overcome any “ahem” math challenges to understand the SWR. The net result is the same.

Although I am very glad that I found the REHP and learned about the SWR, no offense to Intercst, but I think that it will play a small role in the plan that will allow me to be a successful ER.

From listening to those who have already retired, it seems that the SWR is just a starting point in your planning—some are spend less, some are spend more.

So the SWR is just a hypothesis but then when you think about there are so few sure things in life. Perhaps if I have learned anything from the events of late its that the institution that seems the most trusted is the most likely place for the next scandal will break out.

What I think is more important is to have a diversified approach to investing, constantly think ahead, and be willing to be flexible--have a plan “B” in your hip pocket.

The combination of chosen lifestyle, luck and the qualities of determination, creativity, and curiosity that have allowed me to be in the position to entertain such a rare dream as ER are the same that will ultimately allow me to remain retired. This isn't just the ravings of an mad optimist--I have been able to weather this bear market just fine, thank you very much and am still on track for ER.

Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us