The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Politics & Current Events / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/but-what-if-you-are-40-or-45-and-you-havent-17668207.aspx

Subject:  Re: OT: KISS Date:  8/10/2002  4:14 PM
Author:  michaelangela Number:  73410 of 882096

...but what if you are 40 or 45 and you haven't saved 25 times your income?

How 'bout an old-fashioned idea like semi-retirement? As mazske said in the original KISS post, you only need 25X if you're going to rely solely on these savings for your income.

Any amount of other, steady income reduces the requirement. Each person must ask themselves what "retirement" means to them. If it means not having to work AT ALL, then that's the "base case" that's discussed most often on this board.

However, if "retirement" can mean more a "custom-crafted" lifestyle that includes leisure/passion pursuits and, yes, a little work, you've got more options. For myself, I have no objection to having part-time work obligations for the rest of my life -- say, 15 hr/wk. So the key for me is to find something I can do according to my own schedule that will provide some challenge and some supplemental income. Then, I can transition to this "semi-retirement" a heckuva lot sooner.

Plus, this way, I've still got "my hand in the game". If something happens either on the savings side or the expense side, I've got another degree of freedom to exploit to keep things moving. If things get rough, I kick it up a notch to 25 hr/wk (or whatever) until the situation is resolved.

Lots of people do it. Lots of posters here are doing it. It's an option for you, as well.
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us