The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Politics & Current Events / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/i-am-not-aware-of-even-two-consecutive-years-when-17668571.aspx

Subject:  Re: OT: KISS Date:  8/10/2002  7:02 PM
Author:  Daryll40 Number:  73422 of 881502

I am not aware of even two consecutive years when the average U.S home resale price has declined. The risk is obviously less and the role that luck plays is minimized.

I don't have any numerical "proof", but anticdotially I know LOTS of people who lost money on residential real estate. Either they bot in the midwest where prices move slowly or they bot on either coast at the peak of a cycle. And I know MANY people who have lived in their houses FOR YEARS and finally sold them for the same or less than the inflation adjusted values of what they paid for them.

As to income properties, that's a problem too. I don't want taxable income now. I want unrealized and currently untaxed capital gains.

I am NOT anti-real estate by any means. In fact, about 10% of my portfolio is in the Vanguard REIT Index Fund. But I don't real estate is the "anti-stock-market" panacea that you are touting.

Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us