The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Politics & Current Events / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/warrl-writes-does-it-strike-anyone-as-odd-that-17669015.aspx

Subject:  Re: non-MasterMind will RE Date:  8/10/2002  10:06 PM
Author:  warrl Number:  73443 of 881246

warrl writes:
Does it strike anyone as odd that doing work that people are forced (by law) to pay for is called "public service", while doing work that people pay for voluntarily is not?

Not sure I like the implication of your comment. If you have something to say, why not come right out with it?

Just that I find the language somewhat odd. I'm also in so-called public service.

It's just that I figure I deserve that term less than the so-called cooks at McDonald's - and I deserve it more than a lot of government employees, because a large fraction of my work (and my paycheck) is involved with the receiving of utility payments for a couple of government-owned utilities - real and verifiable services that people DO voluntarily pay for, and pay for at rates that relate to their actual usage. (Unlike, say, marijuana-sniffing dogs.)
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us