The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Politics & Current Events / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/warrl-states-heres-another-flaw-in-the-study-as-17670459.aspx

Subject:  Re: non-MasterMind will RE Date:  8/11/2002  12:02 PM
Author:  WaikikiLeolo Number:  73483 of 881249

warrl states:
Here's another flaw in the study as it exists: it assumes a single investment portfolio. Most people have somewhat different situations. But this flaw can be dealt with by acknowledging the income stream from portfolios you don't control, and breaking down any remaining income requirements into several categories depending on what's going on - and then breaking the investment portfolio you DO control into chunks to satisfy these needs and processing them separately

This is exactly what I have done. Here is my portfolio:

70% Efficient frontier strictly adhering to the stock/bond mix and rebalancing each year.
20% REIT stocks
10% Condo in San Francisco

The 70% in the efficient frontier will pay for all my basic needs: shelter, food, electricity, health insurance, and cable. The rest will pay for ā€œluxuries.ā€

Because of the swr data I can sleep very well at night knowing that all my basic needs will be covered. No such data exists (120+years) for the REITS so if I lost my condo (earthquake) and the REIT's went to 0 (or did not keep up with inflation) I would still not have to go back to work.

I am very happy with my asset allocation. And have stayed true to it during this bear market.

Leolo
Retirement in 56 months

Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us