The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Stocks S / Sirius XM Radio

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/ryan-you-should-have-been-a-writer-but-you-17727839.aspx

Subject:  Re: Additional Funding Requirements Date:  8/23/2002  10:55 AM
Author:  MHolt100 Number:  1693 of 10889

Ryan, you should have been a writer, but you should also seek an editor. Given your general distrust of corporate boards and managers, I am surprised that you own stock in any company. Maybe you invested in Pixar because you thought you were opening a bank account. However, if I thought that current money market yields were attractive, I would have opened a bank account rather than buying stock in a company that has a lot of cash. These are different types of investments that are typically made to satisfy different objectives.

By the way, I remember when many investors thought that Applied Biosytems Celera was a great buy because they had a hoard of cash. That stock was trading at $100 per share at the beginning of 2000, and is now trading at about $10 per share. Ultimately, investors focused on the viability of the company's business plan, which seemed to be non-existent after Celera announced that they had sequenced the human genome. Ultimately, investors will also focus on the viability of Sirius' business plan. This includes both existing investors and new investors. New investors will be willing to invest in this company because they will recognize Sirius' profit potential, and when they invest, Sirius will have both the vision and the resources to achieve its profit objective. Both new and existing shareholders stand to profit from implementation of Sirius' business plan. By definition, investing in stocks requires a longer investment horizon than investing in a money market account, but the expected returns are also much greater.
Copyright 1996-2022 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us