The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Foolish 401(k)s


Subject:  Re: 401(k) contributions Date:  10/16/2002  10:18 PM
Author:  MarleysGhost Number:  15416 of 26276

In addition, I forgot to mention that you may contribute to a traditional IRA even if you are a member of an employer's plan and your salary exceeds the phaseout ranges, but the contribution will be non-deductable, becoming part of the owner's basis in the IRA, and therefore non-taxable upon withdrawl.

Here's where it more advantageous to contribute to a ROTH, since it does not force the owner to draw down the balance upon the owner reaching the year in which he/she turns 70.5.

Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us