The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Politics & Current Events / Political Asylum

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/it-isnt-that-one-does-not-exist-it-is-just-that-18054465.aspx

Subject:  Re: We have a winner! Date:  10/26/2002  9:02 PM
Author:  jiml8 Number:  200963 of 2333795

It isn't that one does not exist, it is just that the mainstream press is not interested in coming to the masaajid where my father-in-law speaks, denouncing the radical wahaabi extremists who have hijacked our religion. It is not interested in reporting on the works of Khaled Abou El Fadel, who rips apart the radical wahabbi views one by one in his books. It is not interested in articles like this:

I know a lot of muslims, some of them quite well. Some people on this board might remember that last spring my family and I were invited to a mosque to participate in a celebration of a muslim religious milestone for one of their children. I was somewhat conflicted about going, and asked for opinions here.

Well, we did go. In fact, it was a substantially religious ceremony, attended by a large number of non-muslims, and the mullah made a long speech about Islam and what Islam stood for.

Now, let me make it abundantly clear that I like these people. I work with several muslim children daily (also jews, hindus, buddhists, and christians) and I have to tell you I have a great deal of respect for those kids - they are simply great. In fact, as I write this, I have just returned from chaperoning a group of them (about half of them muslims)while they were trick or treating.

So I went to their mosque. I lent a sympathetic ear. I let the mullah tell me about Islam. This he did. It actually bordered on proseltyzing. But I noted that not once - not one single time - did he repudiate the acts of 9/11 or the other acts of muslim terrorism.

I most particularly did note that. I don't hold it against any of my kids, or their parents, because I don't consider them to be terrorists and I believe that the work I and others are doing with the kids is one of the best ways to eliminate the fundamentalism that seems to lead to terrorist behavior in that religion.

I'm not the press. I was there because I was asked to attend. This was their chance to repudiate before a sympathetic audience. They didn't. They. Didn't.
Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us