The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Books & Writing / Book Club (Fiction Poetry Drama)

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/alistair-maclean-kicks-ass-quotthe-guns-of-18230837.aspx

Subject:  Re: WWII Spy Fiction Date:  12/1/2002  2:45 PM
Author:  Gator8386 Number:  1653 of 3331

Alistair MacLean kicks ass. "The Guns of Navarone" is I guess the most well known one, terrific book.

I finally finished "Cryptonomicon" which is primarily a WWII spy novel, it is really good but 1140 pages so not for the faint of heart. Arguably it could use some pretty serious editing, but on the other hand some of the extraneous stuff is what I liked best (like the three pages on the optimal method of eating Cap'n Crunch cereal). I'm looking forward to Stephenson's next book, so far the two I have read "Snow Crash" and "Crypto" have been really good.

I am just finishing up Styron's "The Confessions of Nat Turner," and I think it goes beyond "good" to the "exceptional" category (it won a Pulitzer for him). I liked it much, much more than "Sophie's Choice," which was a good novel but not in the same category, imo. The events in the book actually took place in 1830, a rebellion of slaves led by Nat Turner slaughtered 55 or so men, women and children. The really masterful thing about the book is Styron manages to turn Turner into a sympathetic character.

Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us