The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Politics & Current Events / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/2003-fire-investments-18353710.aspx

Subject:  2003 FIRE Investments Date:  12/30/2002  12:33 PM
Author:  bill2975 Number:  88147 of 888489

I've been thinking about adding a couple of additional equity positions to my investment portfolio during 2003. Any stocks selected would be bought with the intent of holding them for a reasonably long term, not short-term trading. Yes, I know about index funds and actually own some, as well as TIPS and I-Bonds, but this particular post only deals with specific stock choices. It's the "speculative" portion of our overall portfolio.

As background, I started FIRE in August, 2001 at the age of 55. Any stocks that would be added to our investment portfolio would be in either Roth IRAs or traditional IRAs (which make up about 70% of our savings), not taxable accounts (since we're living off those savings, most of those dollars are in fixed investments, not equities). Three years from now, I'll begin drawing a pension (retired military) which will provide for about 40% of our spending needs during FIRE.

I'm interested in what our community here might have to say about any of the following potential stock choices being added to traditional IRAs or Roth IRAs:

FNM
GE
HD
INTU
MO
NOK
PFE
RSAS
SFFB
SUNW
SYMC
WMT
WSM

Do you have any favorites here?
Are there any that you would add to the candidate list?
If you particularly like a specific stock, why do you like it so much?
Are there any that you think should be avoided?
Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

bill2975
Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us