The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Politics & Current Events / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/i-have-a-couple-of-motivations-first-off-i-am-18356557.aspx

Subject:  Re: What is your ER motivation? Date:  12/30/2002  10:48 PM
Author:  tutone Number:  88266 of 888931

I have a couple of motivations. First off, I am coming up soon against the time when age discrimination becomes a real problem. I'm a 41 y.o. software developer and program manager. There aren't a lot of 40+ software developers, and I'm not sure I want to keep doing it all that much longer anyway.

Secondly, I want the financial independence to try some other things. I would really like to take a string of crappy jobs, just so I can quit when they become overbearing.

It's a tough mental challenge these days. In 2000 the investing decisions seemed obvious -- put money in stocsk and watch them grow 15-25% a year. Now nothing seems to work. Stocks have been terrible, bonds have had their run, cash is paying 1-2%. I find myself suffering from paralysis from analysis. I've got a substantial cash position, which isn't getting me any closer to FI, but is at least eliminating the losses. what to do, what to do...

tutone
Copyright 1996-2022 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us