The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Politics & Current Events / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/i-did-read-the-book-and-i-agree-it-has-a-lesson-18356997.aspx

Subject:  Re: OT:Nickel and Dimed Date:  12/31/2002  1:25 AM
Author:  bhowardinaz Number:  88288 of 888851

I did read the book and I agree it has a lesson for all of us. The most revealing part for me was how difficult it is to get into housing. There does not exist enough affordable housing for those with low incomes - I'm speaking of minimum wage earners, like waitreses, housecleaners, janitors, temporary workers. The problem the author encountered was the large sum required for deposit (2-3 months rent) and the cost of housing in the markets she reported. I know where I live, a studio apartment is $600-$800 per month, making the initial outlay about $2000. At $6.50/hour figuring a 15% withholding (tax and SS and Medicare) a person would have to work almost 3 months to save up just for the deposit. The people she worked with were not slackards. I would encourage you to read the book. It might give you a new perspective.
Copyright 1996-2022 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us